Leading Cause of Suicide
Suicide, which is often associated with symptoms of mental illness, is the 10th leading cause of death the U.S. and the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 15-34.These are scary statistics, because mental illness affects everyone.
Preventing mental illness and promoting good mental health involves actions to create living conditions and environments that support mental health and allow people to adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles. These include a range of actions to increase the chances of more people experiencing better mental health, such as
- Early childhood interventions (for example, home visits for pregnant women and programs that help young children build social and emotional skills).
- Social support for elderly persons.
- Programs targeted to people affected by disasters or other traumatic events.
- Mental health interventions at work (for example, stress prevention programs).
- Violence prevention strategies (for example, reducing violence in the community and the home).
- Campaigns to change the culture of mental health so that all of those in need receive the care and support they deserve.
Serious mental illness costs in the United States amount to $193.2 billion in lost earnings per year. Whereas, adults living with serious mental illness die on average 25 years earlier than others, largely due to treatable medical conditions.
What part are you playing in intervening the global mental health crisis? Join us in raising awareness and promoting mental health in Tanzania @ https://goto.gg/43579